Disclaimer: I purchased this Wool Diaper Cover with my own money and these opinions are my own. This post contains affiliate links.
My Littlest is now 6 weeks old and this little boob-monster pees more than either of his older brothers ever did. He still nurses every 3-4 hours overnight which means he has plenty of fluids to add to his urinary output. But who wants to change diapers in the middle of the night? Not this mama. So when he was waking up soaked through to the sheet for each feeding I knew I had to get creative.
The solutions that had worked for his big brother (aka “Little” who is now 2 and fully out of diapers) just weren’t cutting it with Littlest. He was stuffed to the max with inserts and boosters, but no matter which combination I tried he managed to pee through. I had heard that wool and fitteds were a viable option so I bit the bullet and bought some.
Disana Wool Covers
Disana is a German company that makes several cloth diapering products. These affordable but well-made wool covers retail for around $22. I picked them up at Lagoon Baby with a Motherease Sandy Bamboo Fitted. The manufacturer uses a fine Merino wool which is soft and cozy. There is decent airflow, and while I am reviewing these in November, I think they’d be reasonable in summer as well, just without pajamas.
Pairing this wool cover with a fitted diaper gives Littlest a huge booty, but it’s adorable. It still fits under his sleepers just fine but if I were using this during the day I would just pair it with a shirt. They come down past his knees at his current size and look like little pants.
Receiving and Prepping my Cover
I ordered online at Lagoon Baby and received the cover quickly with the rest of my order. Out of the bag it smelled a bit like any factory processing smell, but not overly strong. I decided against washing it on first use. It came pre-lanolized and ready to use, so I went ahead and used it. I did no special prepping.
How I used It
I have used this cover all week now. First I tried it over our Mother-ease Sandy Bamboo Fitted, with an AMP 3ply Hemp Booster laid inside. You can buy brand specific boosters for this fitted as well, but I already had my trusty AMP’s lying around. This combo worked really well, and I went 5 straight hours before he pooped while night nursing and I had to change him. No leaks! We used it again after the next wash and went all night with no issues.
Since then I have also used this Wool Cover with my Grovia Bamboo Prefolds and the AMP booster, fastened with a Snappi, and this also works FANTASTIC. I went 10 hours last night because he only woke up once. 10 straight hours, leak free. I’m sure I could have gone longer but I wouldn’t want to leave him in a diaper past that amount of time as he still has sensitive newborn skin. It’s my hopes that once he is older we can use this combo for the 12 Hours necessary for our typical 7pm to 7am routine (his older brothers didn’t reach that goal until around 10 months but that’s another story for another post).
In the photos, Littlest is 1 month old and wearing a size 62/68 Disana cover. This is European sizing and is also listed as X-Small which, according to manufacturer, translates to 3-6 months. It fits him a bit big but is comfortable and gets the job done and I am confident he will get several months out of it. He wears US/Canada clothing size 3 months currently. I believe he probably could have worn this from birth since the waist and legs fit snug (but gentle) and the body is looser.
- X-Small 62/68 (tag reads 3-6 months)
- Small 74/80 (tag reads 6-12 months)
- Medium 86/92 (tag reads 12-24 months)
- Large 98/104 (tag reads 2-3 years)
What I Love
- FIT – Even though this is still big on my newborn , the fit is still desirable due to the gentle snugness of the waist and legs.
- MATERIAL – The knit is soft like a sweater, not tight and felted like other wool covers I have seen. It’s flexible and cozy, but breathable. When cuddling my baby, he feels soft and squishy wearing it.
- COLOURS – I chose a neutral grey colour but Disana offers a good variety and I will be buying more.
- EASE OF USE – The cover came lanolized and ready to go!
- DOES THE JOB – I have had no leaks yet at all. Despite my fitteds or orefolds being utterly soaked, and the interior of the wool cover feeling slighty damp (air them inside out)- zero moisture has come through the cover onto pajamas or bedding. And the cover doesn’t even smell like pee!
What I Like Less
- OUT OF BOX SMELL – The wool covers are lanolized and ready so I decided not to wash them first. The initial smell straight out of the bag is kind of “processed”. This smell goes away after washing.
- INSTRUCTIONS – It’s not really that big of an issue because I was still able to follw them easily enough, but it might be worth mentioning that the English instructions are not the best translation.
If you’d like to try one of these amazing covers, enter my giveaway for a $25 Lagoon Baby gift certificate! Or if you can’t wait, go ahead and buy one for yourself. Let me know what you think of them if you decide to try it!